Monday, July 13, 2009

London Calling

My good friend, Megan, has been offered a position in London with her company.  She is leaving her home (and her friends) of many years in New York to start a new life in the UK!   She won't be looking for a place to live until she gets there and will be staying in temporary corporate housing in the meantime.  Because of that, she will have to send out an announcement with her new address, phone number, etc.  I thought, instead of doing something so impersonal, like an e-mail, why not send a postcard in the mail.  What a great gift that would be!  I started designing and this is what I came up with!  

The type, color pallet and boarder were inspired by vintage postcards.  I wanted to give it that 1930s/40s feel.  Big Ben and the Statue of Liberty were perfect icons representing her old home and the new life she is on the cusp of.  On the back, you may recognize the old '80s song by Simple Minds.  I thought this was appropriate.  

Now, Megan has a tendency to put things like this off because she is just so busy with work, and now moving on top of all!  If I could have printed her information on the card beforehand, I would have!  Hopefully she will send these out.  To be safe, I'm buying the stamps as well.  I better get one of these in the mail or someone is in BIG trouble!  I may just have to fly to London and give her a piece of my mind...


5 comments:

  1. That is awesome! Love the use of a map, and the retro design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! It does remind me of the old guidebooks I've seen from between the world wars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I just hope Megan enjoys it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it....I'm going to want copies of this when I move to London.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to change the Statue of Liberty to a crawfish and move it to Louisiana!

    ReplyDelete